ICT In Education
Post date: Mar 12, 2014 6:42:01 AM
ICT in Education
Why do we need ICT in Education? Was education not happening before computers came into existence? The shift is necessary because this is the age of information and technology, an age that requires that teachers facilitate the gathering of this information and not merely teach.
Information and communication technologies (ICT) have become commonplace entities in all aspects of our life.
Teaching with technology is different from teaching in a typical classroom. Worldwide research has shown that ICT can lead to improved student learning and better teaching methods. A report made by the National Institute of Multimedia Education in Japan, proved that an increase in student exposure to educational ICT through curriculum integration has a significant and positive impact on student achievement, especially in terms of “Knowledge Comprehension”, "Practical skill" and "Presentation skill" in subjects like mathematics and science.
ADVANTAGES OF ICT TOOLS FOR EDUCATION
- Through ICT, images can easily be used in teaching and improving the retentive memory of students.
- Teachers can easily explain complex instructions and ensure students' comprehension.
- Teachers are able to create interactive classes and make the lessons more enjoyable, which could improve student attendance and concentration.
- ICTs improve students’ research skills by encouraging them to look for information on the Internet. It enables them to research various topics by seeking relevant books that could be digitally available online. The Internet also contains search options, which expose students to diverse ways of obtaining information.
- ICTs by their very nature are tools that encourage and support independent learning.
With these points, we realize that the importance of ICT in education cannot be denied. Lastly, although the ICT cannot replace books or classroom education, it is one of the best substitutes for those who wish to gain deeper knowledge on every subject under the sun.